Class 7A interim coach says current, incoming players deemed recruited after AHSAA ruling
Interim coach said his team will respond "the right way" to AHSAA's ruling earlier this week.
As many as 20 Mary G. Montgomery football players, including current roster members and incoming freshmen, are facing potential ineligibility following a harsh ruling from the AHSAA earlier this week, according to interim head coach Alex Page.
AHSAA Ruling and Impact
The Vikings were slapped with restrictive probation and a one-year suspension for head coach Zach Golson due to recruiting violations. A key component of the sanctions dictates that any students involved in the infractions are permanently ineligible for athletics at the Semmes school.
Speaking on WNSP’s “The Opening Kickoff” Thursday, Page explained the scope of the roster impact. “The current players that we have in the program, there were around maybe 10 on the list that have been tagged as being recruited,” Page noted. “There’s a possibility we lose a few from that list. And then there’s several upcoming freshmen that were tagged as being recruited. So, there’s quite a few in that class that they’re saying cannot be eligible at Mary G. Montgomery.” Page estimates the maximum total affected is approximately 20 students.
The Background of the Violations
The AHSAA investigation centered on a violation of Rule VI, Section 12, reportedly stemming from an April signing ceremony held at the school for eighth-grade students. Sources indicated that several students in attendance were not zoned for Mary G. Montgomery, an issue further highlighted by photos circulating on social media. Previously, Golson had been placed on administrative leave by Mobile County Public Schools.
Postseason Ban and Future Outlook
Under the current ruling, the Vikings face a 2026 postseason ban. While they are permitted to play a 10-game regular season, those matchups will not count toward Class 6A, Region 1 standings or tiebreaker scenarios. Mobile County Public Schools director of communication Rena Philips has not returned requests for comment, and Golson remains unable to comment on the record.
Despite the adversity, there is hope for a path forward. Page confirmed the administration is exploring the possibility of an appeal. “I believe there’s a process and our administration is (looking at it),” Page said. “They’re getting their information together, so they’re going to do everything they can to try to get the situation resolved. And our prayer is just that the truth comes to light and what’s best for the kids is considered.”
Addressing Transfer Claims
Addressing questions regarding student-athletes, Page pushed back on the idea of improper playing time, noting that out-of-district transfers were held to sub-varsity play. Having recently led the team through their spring game against Ocean Springs, Mississippi, Page emphasized his commitment to the remaining roster. “We felt that it was only right for us to stick together and fight for the kids and be there for them through this time,” he said.