Suspect dead after opening fire near White House security checkpoint, Secret Service says
The agency says in a statement Saturday that a preliminary investigation found the man was near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue when he pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing
A man is dead following a shootout at a White House security checkpoint Saturday evening, marking the third such incident near President Donald Trump in the last month. According to the Secret Service, the suspect opened fire shortly after 6 p.m. EDT at the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue.
Incident Details
Authorities identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best. Witnesses and law enforcement reports state that Best pulled a weapon from his bag and began firing, prompting Secret Service officers to return fire. Best was struck during the exchange and was later pronounced dead at a hospital. A bystander was also wounded in the chaos, though it remains under investigation whether the individual was hit by the suspect's fire or by responding officers.
President Trump was at the White House during the shooting but was not impacted. The president had originally planned to spend the weekend at his New Jersey golf club but opted to remain in Washington on Friday.
History of Threats
District of Columbia court records indicate Best had a previous history with security checkpoints. He was arrested in July 2025 for attempting to enter a restricted White House area, where he famously claimed to be Jesus Christ. Following that incident, a bench warrant was issued for Best in August due to noncompliance with a Pretrial Stay Away Order.
This event follows two other high-profile security scares involving gunfire near the president: the White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner shooting in April and a separate incident near the Washington Monument in early May. The area also holds a somber history, situated near the site where two members of the West Virginia National Guard were ambushed last November.
On the Scene
Following the gunfire, journalists present at the White House reported hearing dozens of shots and were ordered to shelter in the press briefing room. ABC News correspondent Selina Wang captured dramatic footage of the moment, which later circulated widely on social media. By Saturday evening, the area remained a cordoned-off crime scene, with yellow tape and orange evidence markers dotting the sidewalk as FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed that agency personnel were on-site to assist with the investigation.
205focus.com will continue to provide updates as more information is released by law enforcement.